Wedding Dress Shopping - Part 1 (Preparation)

I can't believe that it has been six months already since we got engaged! My wedding is nine months away and time is ticking fast. It is true what people say, wedding planning is stressful and takes a lot of time.
My reception was booked very early on so we could set a date. Next step on my list was searching for the perfect dress.


The search began three months ago. I had no idea what I wanted and what would suit me. I want it to be special and have that WOW factor when I look at myself in the mirror. However that WOW moment didn't happen to me for a while. All up I've been to ten bridal shops before making my mind up. So I just want to share my tips that helped me choose the right dress and make the whole process easier.



1. Get yourself a Wedding Journal 
It doesn't have to be anything fancy. You can even get yourself a large notebook and glue tabs on yourself.
I got mine on sale for $15 at Typo and it has everything I need. I love how it has tabs for the Budget; Guest List & Invites; Attire, Hair & Make-up; Flowers & the Cake' Music & Entrainment; Ceremony & Cars; Reception; Photos & Video; Gift Registry & Thank you and Honeymoon plus one clear and one paper envelope for receipts etc.

 2. Book an Appointment
In most cases you will need to make an appointment to try on wedding dresses. So I've searched various Bridal Shops and categorised them by location so I could visit 2-3 shops at once. I left plenty of space next to each name so I could write comments about dresses I've tried on.

Saturdays are usually very busy so I was trying to sqeeze my appointments in when I had RDO during weekday. That way you are most likely to be the only bride there and not only you will get more attention from sales assistance but also you won't have to wait for a dress (if another bride is trying it on).

3. Ask your friends/mum/whoever-you-want to come with you.
I must say that its OK to go dress shopping by yourself! If you are good at making decisions and judgement without emotional attachments then go for it! However if you need some honest advise then bring someone with you (I found that some bridal shop staff can be very...ummm... sales-oriented).

Make it fun for them too! Organise a lunch or take them out for a coffee afterwards. If people make time for you and go out of their way to help you with your wedding show them your appreciation!








Comments

  1. Good luck! I went looking at dresses once by myself as I usually took my MOH along with me, and felt so guilty when i sent her photos of a dress that I possibly liked. Vowed after that to always bring her along with me. Made it so much more special when I found the right dress. I agree with the making it fun part, I at least tried to find shops with bridesmaids dresses that she could try on too and always took her for lunch or caught a movie before hand as it gets very boring for them after a while :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Barbie!

Buyers Beware - Fake OPI nail polish!

I had my Tragus pierced today!